Since our first research collaboration in the mid-1980s, the Kirby Institute has maintained strong and productive partnerships with Australia’s gay communities.
While HIV does not represent the same urgent risk to the community as it did then, it remains an important health issue, with new notification rates for HIV remaining stable over the past five years. In Australia, about three quarters of new HIV infections are among gay men and other men who have sex with men.
Internal Server Error
The server encountered an internal error and was unable to complete your request. Either the server is overloaded or there is an error in the application.
We also work with gay communities on studies that explore infection, immunity and cancer, especially as it relates to human papillomavirus-related anal cancer.
Our programs that work in this area
- Aboriginal and Torres Strait Islander Health
- Biostatistics and Databases
- HIV Epidemiology and Prevention
- Public Health Interventions
- Sexual Health
- Surveillance and Evaluation
- Therapeutic and Vaccine Research
- Viral Hepatitis Epidemiology and Prevention